The paper reveals the concept of "digital inheritance" - a new term in law, which has become widespread in many legal systems and refers to the transfer of rights to digital assets in a broad sense. It is established that only turnable digital assets are subject to transfer by way of universal succession. It is shown that the possibility of digital inheritance by law and by will is limited depending on the object by the terms of the contract (a license, services, confidentiality) and/or the human constitutional right to privacy.
1. Berlee, Anna. 2017. Digital Inheritance in the Netherlands. Journal of European Consumer and Market Law 6: 256-260. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3082802
2. Camardi, Carmelita C. 2018. LTeredit? digitale. Tra reale e virtuale. Il diritto dell'informazione e dell'informatica 1: 65-93.
3. Resta, Giorgio. 2019. La successione nei rapporti digitali e la tutela post-mortale dei dati personali. Contratto e impresa 35 (1): 85-105.
4. Digitale nalatenschap. https://www.notaris.nl/testament/digitale-nalatenschap
5. DSwiss. 2018. Data inheritance on different online platforms. https://www.securesafe.com/en/news/digital-inheritance-policies/
6. Harbinja, Edina. 2017. Post-mortem social media: law and Facebook after death. InaThe Legal Challenges of Social Media, edited by David Mangan, Lorna Gillies. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
7. Harbinja, Edina. 2017.aULegal aspects of transmission of digital assets on death.FaDoctoral diss., University of Strathclyde. http://digitool.lib.strath.ac.uk/R/?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=28644
8. Ib??ez, Luis-Daniel Ib??ez, Micha? R. Hoffman and Taufiq Choudhr. 2018. Blockchains and Digital Assets. https://www.eublockchainforum.eu/sites/default/files/research-paper/blockchains_and_digital_assets_june_version.pdf
9. Klasicek, Dubravka. 2018. UDigital inheritance.F In Proceedings of the Interdisciplinary Management Research XIV (IMR, 2018), Opatija, Croatia, November, 2018, 1050-1068.
10. Laptev, Vasily. 2018. Digital assets as objects of the civil rights. Legal science and practice: Journal of Nizhny Novgorod academy of the Ministry of internal affairs of Russia 42(2): 199-204.
11. Marchisotti, Chiara. 2016. Digital identity and posthumous protection.a In Identit? ed eredit? digitali: Stato dellTarte e possibili soluzioni al servizio del Cittadino, edited by Oreste Pollicino, Valerio Lubello, Marco Bassini Canterano. http://www.aracneeditrice.it/aracneweb/index.php/pubblicazione.html?item=9788854896703&tab=indice
12. Navas, Susana. 2019. Digital Content of the Inheritance: Remarks on the Judgment of the German Federal Court of Justice (BGH) of 12 July 2018 from the Standpoint of Spanish Law.aEuropean Review of Private Law 27(5): 1159 Ts 1168.
13. Nemeth, Kristin and Jorge Morais Carvalho. 2017. Digital inheritance in the European Union.aJournal of European Consumer and Market Lawa6(6): 253-260.
14. Novoselova, Ludmila and Oleg Polezhaev. 2019. Digital signs as objects of civil rights. Entrepreneurial Law 4: 3-12.
15. Patti, Francesco Paolo and Francesca Bartolini. 2019. Digital Inheritance and Post Mortem Data Protection: The Italian Reform.aEuropean Review of Private Law (ERPL), Forthcoming. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3397974
16. Pike, George. 2014. Legal Issues: What to Do with Your Digital Life.a http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2963660
17. PWC. 2013. UDigital lives: we value our assets at ?25 billion.F Accessed May 12, 2021. https://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/2013/12/uk-consumers-value-their-digital-lives-at-25-billion-.html
18. Rackpace Hosting. 2011. UGeneration Cloud: A social study into the impact of cloud-based services on everyday UK life.F Accessed April 15, 2021. https://slidex.tips/download/generation-cloud-a-social-study-into-the-impact-of-cloud-based-services-on-every
19. Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act (RUFADAA, 2014) Accessed April 15, 2021. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml
20. Ruan, Keyun. 2019.aDigital Asset Valuation and Cyber Risk Measurement: Principles of Cybernomics. Academic Press.
21. Sannikova, Larisa and Julia Kharitonova. 2018a. The legal entity of new digital assets. Law 9: 86-95.
22. Sannikova, Larisa and Julia Kharitonova. 2018b. Protection of digital assets as property value. Economy and law 5: 26-35.
23. Santos Moron, Mar?a. 2018. The So-Called Digital Inheritance: Need of Regulation: Study of Spanish and Comparative Law.aCuadernos Derecho Transnacionala10(1): 413-438.
24. Sarnek, Marcin. 2016. When You Are Not What You Do Not Have: Some Remarks on Digital Inheritance.aIn Materiality and Popular Culture: The Popular Life of Things, edited by Anna Malinowska, Karolina Lebek. New York: Routledge.
25. Saveliev Alexander. 2017. Cryptocurrencies in the system of civil rights objects. Law 8: 136-153.
26. Vu?kovi?, Romana and Ivana Kanceljak. 2019. Does the right to use digital content affect our digital inheritance?aEU and comparative law issues and challenges series (ECLIC)a3: 724-746. https://doi.org/10.25234/eclic/9029
27. Wei-jie, Wang. 2012. Research on the Present Situation of Chinese Digital Inheritance.ahttp://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-QBKX201201009.htm
28. Yatsenko, Tatyana. 2019. Inheritance of digital rights. Inheritance Law 2: 11-14.
29. Zhao, Li, Xi-ye Li and Shu-hui Yang. 2012. Succession of Digital Inheritance Involving Accounts.aJournal of Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (Social Sciences Edition) 14 (3): 33-39.ahttps://journalsk.bupt.edu.cn/EN/Y2012/V14/I3/33