The paper comprehensively examines Russia's foreign policy towards the Korean Peninsula. Its scientific relevance is defined by the unsettled issues on the Korean Peninsula, including the nuclear one, and the peninsula’s geographical proximity to the Russian Far East, the development of which is a priority task for Russia in the 21st century. The aim of the study is to analyze Russian approaches to the Korean settlement. The methodology includes the systemic and geopolitical approaches. Russia is interested in the peaceful situation on the Korean Peninsula, its denuclearization and the development of multilateral economic cooperation there. In principle, Russia would not object to the unification of Korea, provided that the process of unification would occur peacefully in conditions of social stability and it would not cause serious conflicts between the regional powers. However, it is not ready to take any active steps to achieve unification of Korea. The reason is Russia’s unwillingness to exacerbate the existing tensions, irritate friendly China, and, what is especially important in the context of the growing confrontation with the United States, eliminate the DPRK as a potential partner in this confrontation. Russia prioritizes the six-party talks format for a comprehensive settlement of the Korean crisis in the context of reformatting the security architecture in Northeast Asia. It is unlikely that the Russian proposals will be implemented in the medium and long term since, firstly, the DPRK prefers to discuss its nuclear program directly with the United States. Secondly, the United States is seeking to strengthen the existing security structure in the region, based on bilateral alliances. The current acute confrontation between Russia and the United States as well as between the United States and China makes it practically unrealistic to create a united front to achieve denuclearization of the DPRK. The authors believe that resolving the nuclear problem of the Korean Peninsula without direct Russian participation would be more profitable for Russia than the status quo with the DPRK continuing to build up its nuclear missile potential and no opportunities for Russia to implement trilateral economic projects on the Korean peninsula.
1. Asmolov K.V., Zakharova L.V. Otnosheniya Rossii s KNDR v XXI veke: itogi dvadcatiletiya (Russia’s Relations with the DPRK in the 21st Century: Results of the First 20 Years). Vestnik Rossijskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Seriya: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya. 2020. Vol. 20. No. 3. DOI: 10.22363/2313–0660–2020–20–3–585–604. (In Russ.)
2. Blank S. Russia and the Korean Peace Process. International Journal of Korean Unification Studies. 2018. Vol. 27. No. 2.
3. Davydov O.V. Problemy Korejskogo poluostrova i vozmozhnye puti ih resheniya (The Problems of the Korean Peninsula and Their Prospective Solutions). Rossiya i ATR. 2018. No. 3 (101). DOI: 10.24411/1026–8804–2018–10034. (In Russ.)
4. Davydov O.V. Severokorejskaya raketno-yadernaya problema: sostoyanie, tupiki, vozmozhnye puti resheniya (North Korean Nuclear Problem: Status, Standoff, Prospective Solutions). Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya. 2018. Vol. 62. No. 7. DOI: 10.20542/0131–2227–2018–62–7–17–26. (In Russ.)
5. Denisov V.I. Rossiya i Korejskij poluostrov v novoj mezhdunarodnoj situacii (Russia and Korean Peninsula in the New International Situation). Mezhdunarodnaya analitika. 2015. No. 1. DOI: 10.46272/2587–8476–2015–0–1–39–48. (In Russ.)
6. Dyachkov I.V. Yadernaya problema Korejskogo poluostrova v 2019 g.: vyzovy dlya regiona i Rossii (Korean Nuclear Problem in 2019: Challenges for the Region and For Russia). Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki. 2020. Vol. 25. No. 184. DOI: 10.20310/1810–0201–2020–25–184–201–208. (In Russ.)
7. Gabuev A. Bad Cop, Mediator or Spoiler: Russia’s Role on the Korean Peninsula. The Moscow Times. 24.04.2019. URL: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/04/24/bad-cop-mediator-or-spoiler-russias-role-on-the-korean-peninsula-a65369 (accessed: 25.02.2022).
8. Iskanderov P. Rossiya i KNDR: klyuchevye tochki vzaimodejstviya (Russia and North Korea: key points of interaction). Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn'. 26.04.2019. URL: https://interaffairs.ru/news/show/22345 (accessed: 25.02.2022). (In Russ.)
9. Kashin V. Rossiya na Korejskom poluostrove: s Kitaem ili sama po sebe? (Russia on the Korean Peninsula: with China or on its own?). Moskovskij centr Karnegi. 30.10.2020. URL: https://carnegie.ru/2020/10/30/ru-pub-83069 (accessed: 25.02.2022). (In Russ.)
10. Khamutaeva S.V. Problema ob"edineniya Korei v rossijskoj istoriografii (The Problem of Korean Unification in Russian Historiography). Vestnik Buryatskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Filosofiya. 2010. No. 8. (In Russ.)
11. Koncepciya vneshnej politiki Rossijskoj Federacii (utverzhdena Prezidentom Rossijskoj Federacii V.V. Putinym 30 noyabrya 2016 g.) (The Concept of the Foreign Policy of the Russian Federation (approved by the President of the Russian Federation V.V. Putin on November 30, 2016)). MID RF. URL: https://www.mid.ru/foreign_policy/official_documents/-/asset_publisher/CptICkB6BZ29/content/id/2542248 (accessed: 25.02.2022). (In Russ.)
12. Kortunov A.V., Kuzmina K.A., Terkina D.A., Liu Fenghua, Sun Zhuangzhi. Strategic Interaction between Russia and China: Significance and Essence. Russian International Affairs Council. 2020. No. 28. URL: https://russiancouncil.ru/papers/Russia-China-Strategic-PolicyBrief28.pdf (accessed: 25.02.2022). (In Russ.)
13. Lan’kov A. Cugcvang Phen'yana. Pochemu Severnaya Koreya ne pojdet kitajskim putem (Pyongyang’Stalemate: Why North Korea will not Follow China’s Example). Rossiia v global’noi politike. 2013. Vol. 11. No. 2. (In Russ.)
14. Lukin A. Russia’s Policy Toward North Korea: Following China’s Lead. 38 North. 23.12.2019. URL: https://www.38north.org/2019/12/alukin122319/ (accessed: 25.02.2022).
15. Lukin A.L. Uregulirovanie raketno-yadernogo krizisa na Korejskom poluostrove: interesy Rossii i perspektivy mnogostoronnego formata (Resolving the Nuclear-Missile Crisis on the Korean Peninsula: Russia’s Interests and the Prospects for a Multilateral Format). Izvestiya Vostochnogo instituta, 2018. No. 2. DOI: 10.24866/2542–1611/2018–2/32–40. (In Russ.)
16. Lukin A.V. Pivot to Asia: Russia’s Foreign Policy Enters the 21st Century. New Delhi: Vij Books India Pvt ltd, 2017.
17. Lukin A.V. Russia’s Korea Policy in the 21st Century. International Journal of Korean Unification Studies, 2009. Vol. 18. No. 2.
18. Lukin A.V. Russia’s Policy in Northeast Asia and the Prospects for Korean Unification. International Journal of Korean Unification Studies, 2017. Vol. 26. No. 1.
19. Morgulov I. Vostochnaya politika Rossii v 2016 godu: rezul'taty i perspektivy (Russia’s Eastern Policy in 2016: Results and Prospects). Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn', 2017. No. 2. (In Russ.)
20. Morozov Y.V. Severokorejskaya yadernaya problema i vozmozhnye puti ee resheniya sovmestnymi usiliyami Rossii i Kitaya (North Korea's Nuclear Issue and Possible Solutions through Concerted Efforts of Russia and China). Nacional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost', 2018. Vol. 14. No. 7. DOI: 10.24891/ni. 14. 7.1360. (In Russ.)
21. Pugacheva O.S. Mezhkorejskie otnosheniya: faktory i perspektivy razvitiya (Inter-Korean Relations: Factors and Prospects). Kontury global'nyh transformacij: politika, ekonomika, pravo, 2021. Vol. 14. No. 1. DOI: 10.23932/2542–0240–2021–14–1–8. (In Russ.)
22. Rumer E., Sokolsky R., Vladicic A. Russia in the Asia-Pacific: Less Than Meets the Eye. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 03.08.2020. URL: https://carnegieendowment.org/2020/09/03/russia-in-asia-pacific-less-than-meets-eye-pub-82614 (accessed: 25.02.2022).
23. Toloraya G. Rossiya i problemy Korejskogo poluostrova na sovremennom etape (Russia and the Issues of the Korean Peninsula). Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta, 2014. Vol. 4. No. 37. (In Russ.)
24. Toloraya G.D., Torkunov A.V. Raketno-yadernaya ugroza na Korejskom poluostrove: prichiny i mery reagirovaniya (Nuclear and Missile Threat on the Korean Peninsula: Origins and Response Measures). Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya, 2016. No. 4. DOI: 10.17976/jpps/2016.04.11. (In Russ.)
25. Torkunov A.V., Toloraya G.D., Dyachkov I.V. Sovremennaya Koreya: metamorfozy turbulentnyh let (2008–2020 gg.) (Modern Korea. Metamorphoses of Turbulent Years (2008–2020)). Moscow, Prosveshchenie, 2021. (In Russ.)
26. Zhebin A. In Search for Denuclearization and Peace in Korea: a View from Russia. Global Peace Foundation. URL: https://www.globalpeace.org/denuclearization-and-peace-korea (accessed: 25.02.2022).
27. Zhebin A.Z. Koreya: denuklearizaciya v obmen na normalizaciyu? (Korea: Denuclearization in Exchange for Normalization?). Vostochnaya Aziya: fakty i analitika, 2019. No. 1. (In Russ.)